Monday, March 13, 2017
Saturday, March 4, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
My weapons of choice. Gunk penetrating oil, a hammer, a selection of screwdrivers, a small crescent wrench, and a hacksaw blade.
Then, there would be the occasional super stubborn one, ugh. This one I ended up grinding the head off of it - it was a screw from the non-existent arm wrest, so I didn't need to save the threads for right now. We are going to sell the door, so the next person will have to worry about that one loan screw on this door. Amazingly, this door has NO ROT on the bottom of the carcass. It is also interesting to see what an original door with no rot looks like! It has two elongated (factory) drain holes in the bottom as well as a channel on the bottom with a door sweep rubber. Interesting!
I ended up starting to grind off the head - and then it moved..... so, I was able to get it out with the pliers.
whoop whoop! Working door latches in both doors now! It was a MIRACLE that I got those little headless screws out that hold the handles in. Seriously! The passenger door knob is keyed - which is weird (why not the drivers door?) - it is at the locksmith now HOPING to get it functioning and a key. I am also HOPING he doesn't ruin it because it almost irreplaceable! I have had a total of 4 sets of doors and it is the only one I have!
I am ordering window regulator bushings today....might as well replace the rotten ones while I have it all apart and have smooth operating regulators with the new fuzzy channel and new rubber setting channel when I get new glass made :) I think we will just go with clear glass and we can tint the glass later if we decide we want to.
Anyhow, feeling victorious with those door latches! I win!
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Sunday, February 12, 2017
Saturday, February 11, 2017
We got the power wire ran to the starter as well as the ground wires! Cab grounded, engine grounded! Tomorrow we can install the battery and start it. We are going to test the clutch (since we recently installed a new reservoir) before we reinstall the driveline... so hopefully tomorrow we will be doing our first test drive! ::crossing fingers::
Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Well, I hope this is the final take anyhow! We used paint-on contact cement this time for the veneer, clamped between boards overnight. Then very light sanding and a 50/50 Ipswitch Pine/Dark Walnut stain mix. Allowed to dry 2 days and then epoxy pour-on finish. There will be drips on the underside to clean up, but I have high hopes this will work this time!
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Saturday, October 15, 2016
Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Well, finally we have radiator hoses that will work!
The first time we went to the parts store, we came back defeated and thought it couldn't be done. I searched online for hours to try to locate the lower hose. The only thing I got from my search was a silicone reducer that we thought would help, but didn't end up using it afterall.
After being defeated initially, we gave up for a while. The time has come that we are getting so close to starting it, that it was now a priority. So, after two trips to NAPA(and a very capable clerk), we have hoses! I had to buy 3 total and all had to be trimmed to fit, but it is a miracle in my eyes! The fitting in the middle of the upper will be for the electric fan sensor since originally the Dodge had a clutch fan that was off-center.
Friday, October 7, 2016
Here is the view of the master cylinder from the access hole under the seat:
And, below the seat:
We tested the brakes as much as we could with it not running yet, and all corners work! We have an adjustable proportioning valve as well as an adjustment in the air can, so I am sure there will be tweaking here and there after the truck is running - which doesn't seem that far off now!!!
I started on the fuel lines and got them from the tank, through the bulkhead fittings we put in (pre-existing) holes in the frame:
I had to get a new set of tube bending pliers to bend the 5/16'' fuel line - so that is probably on the 'to-do' list for this weekend (although it is supposed to rain all weekend, so that might change).
I was sick Sunday, so wasn't up to working on the truck - but Brian got the air compressor installed and the bulkhead fitting for the airlines through the fuel-tank-turned-battery/air compressor-box. (will add a photo next post).