I did some researching about drilling good holes for the gauge panels before we dove in - and we decided to use a hole saw slightly smaller than the hole size necessary and then fine tune them. We also decided to predrill the 1/4'' center hole and replace the center drill bit in the hole saw with a 1/4'' rod so the hole saw didn't ''walk'' away from it's intended position. This worked very well!
We got all 3 panels prepped for the gauges with room left for other dash necessities to be added later.
(forgot to take a pic with the 3rd one over the steering column, oops!)
We ended up drilling a smaller hole for the dual air gauge centered over the steering column - and then on the opposite panel, the hole for the clock in the same (mirrored) location.
The decision has not been made yet on how to finish these panels...... leather is at the top of our list. Personally, I would like to use a gray leather to match the seat - but Brian wants to use buckskin if possible. We have several buckskins I inherited from my grandpa, but they might be a little thick to wrap around the tight radius' - so we plan to do a test piece and see if it works. I would like to do the door panels and the visor in the same buckskin if we go that route, to tie it all together. I think the backing of the dash will be a cream color - similar to original.
Post a Comment