Monday, May 13, 2013


Well, after much deliberation, Brian decided he really wanted to weld the rear panels together where they were orginally bolted together.  This required some brainstorming how to get those seams lined up and clamped.....
The first corner, we used our regular work-bench (grandpa's 6'x6' table with 3'' thick wood that I think is mahogany, my favorite equipment in the shop BTW!).....  and we used some lumber to shim underneath since that lip between panels wouldn't allow them to sit flat on the table.  We were able to use the lumber to clamp the two pieces together so we got a nice tight seam too.
The second corner seam, we had to move to a piece of plywood on a smaller table to allow both corners to hang over to weld.  It all worked out really well.....


We got the cab roof on, got most of the back tack welded into place.  It was fitting well, drivers corner lined up well, but when we got to the passenger rear corner, we ended up with this:

I remember this edge being particularly difficult to get the nails out of the old oak, and I might have stretched the edge a little.  Or maybe we got the back tighter than original making it that 1/4'' narrower..... I know it was tight when we took it off because it took hours to remove all those nails.

In any event, we have a dilemma and I sure hope it doesn't halt progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment